Monday, July 23, 2007

The Disciple


The day I returned home from my first year of college, my maternal grandfather was waiting on the front steps of my parent’s home. He stood there with his shock of receding white hair. His pants hiked up about 2 inches above his waist beyond what is advisable, if you know what I mean. His hands rested on his hips as a sign of his expectation of my arrival.

We greeted each other there, on the front steps with a handshake, and sat down on the steps. We spent a few minutes discussing the events that had transpired, since we last met. Our time together, this time, was different in that we related in a new way. We interacted as adults. Those moments came to a close with my grandfather recognizing the condition of my shoes. He rose and departed only to return with his shoe polish kit, and he polished my shoes. When he finished restoring a fine sheen to my shoes, I left to attend a party of friends returning from college also.

The next morning my grandfather was gone. He had had a fatal heart attack after his morning cup of coffee. We wouldn’t have more opportunities to relate as adults. Then and even now, I wonder what we might have to say to each other. I wonder what opportunities I have missed by virtue of his absence. I wonder what advice he might have for me. I wonder what wisdom I will never receive. I should have spent more time as a disciple at his feet. The barriers of youth can be high indeed.

Barriers come in all forms. The Mary and Martha story is one of barriers. The barriers to sitting at Jesus’ feet were very high for Martha. It is true that she had much to do. She is engaged in the task of providing hospitality for her house guests. Her tasks are culturally prescribed. Women, in Jesus day, were expected to be providers of hospitality. Men were expected to be the students, sitting at the feet of a teacher.

Martha is troubled at the behavior of her sister. You see, Mary sits at the feet of Jesus as a student. Mary is ignoring her culturally dictated role. The problem is not that Mary is leaving Martha to do all the work. The problem is that Mary is ignoring her cultural and religious obligation. She has rejected her cultural obligation and has claimed the role, traditionally the preserve of men. This is what Martha doesn’t like.

Perceptive Jesus understands her plaintiff complaint. Jesus has a response. It is the same response he has for the lawyer from the Story of the Good Samaritan. In the Kingdom, the new coming Kingdom of God, cultural prescription is irrelevant.

What we are talking about is being a disciple. Jesus is saying that there are no fundamental, culturally prescribed barriers to being a disciple. Being a disciple is always the better part, and that being a disciple is possible, simply as a function of being a child of God.

The bell rings for the start of class. The teacher takes his place. There is more than enough room. You don’t have to sign up. You just have to show up. The Good News is there are no prerequisites required, and the only barriers to attendance are self-imposed.

No comments: