Friday, November 9, 2007

Six Rules for Serious Theological Discourse


Yesterday, I attended a presentation offered by the clergy association. The speaker was a professor of logic from the University of Georgia. He offered six rules for serious theological discourse. It was an interesting discussion, and I want to offer you his six rules.

I am fully aware that my notes don’t represent his words exactly, but I think I captured the spirit of them. If you are interested, I would love to hear your thoughts.

1-No matter how firmly I believe something, I may be wrong. 1 Cor 10:12

2
-Be clear as possible in what we say, paying attention to what we say, never accepting emotional rhetoric.

3-A contradiction should be a stopping point for seeking truth, because there is none there to find.

4-Always strive for coherency.

5-Always seek the views of the expert, the likelihood of the expert being right is better, be on guard against the pseudo-expert.

6-Submit to the rule of authority of our particular discourse.

Chris+

No comments: