Friday, September 19, 2008

Bishop Duncan Speaks

Bishop Duncan's Statement on his "Deposition"
Document Actions


It is a very sad day for The Episcopal Church. It is also a sad day for me, a faithful son of that church.

Nevertheless it is also a hopeful day, hopeful because of the unstoppable Reformation that is overtaking the Christian Church in the West. It is also a hopeful day for me personally as I am unanimously welcomed into the House of Bishops of the Anglican Province of the Southern Cone, an act applauded by Anglican archbishops, bishops, clergy and people all around the world.

The Episcopal Diocese of Pittsburgh will move forward under its new Ecclesiastical Authority, its Standing Committee. That body will carry the diocese through to our realignment vote on October 4. With the success of that vote, it will be possible that we be joined together again as bishop and people.

I offer my deepest thanks to the company of saints all around the globe who have sustained me, my wife and all who are dear to me in these days.

Robert Duncan

- Posted September 18, 2008 -

Comment:

It is sad. Deposition, for whatever reason, is no cause for celebration. Reform of the Church is a worthy and lofty goal. The demand of the Gospel is to grow in faithfulness. What we have is a disagreement as to how that should happen. There are arguments that all the voices offer that I find compelling and persuasive. The scriptures are the supreme source of authority, and are to be taken seriously. The question is how do we reconcile the Church to that authority? Are the scriptures a list of eternal dos and dont’s? Yes, but certainly more than that. Jesus’ own use of the Hebrew Bible would seem to indicate a deeper view. Do varying views justify the escalation of our conflict?

I have no particular canonical expertise. There will certainly be arguments offered based upon canon. Structure and process are important. It seems clear to the casual observer that Duncan was in the process of removing his diocese from the Episcopal Church. That is certainly what the House of Bishops found and affirmed in their vote to depose Duncan. While we are members of the Anglican Communion, attempting to take a diocese out of the Episcopal Church doesn’t strike me as being faithful to this church. I don’t question Duncan’s faithfulness to the Gospel, but it is clear that he feels he can’t remain in the Episcopal Church. I applaud him as a man of conviction, despite my disagreement with his conclusions and actions.

If you are committed to reforming the Episcopal Church stay and do it. If you feel it impossible, I understand the need to leave; go in peace. Yet, realignment for the sake of remaining in communion with Canterbury and keeping property is an, until recent times, untried and unprecedented act. Let’s not pretend it is reformation of the Episcopal Church. It is leaving it in hope of replacing it.

I long for some kind of settlement. I wish the Episcopal Church would meet with those that are, let’s face it, already gone, and work out the property issues. Surely, some property could be sold to those departed and departing. Let’s have a look at a map of parishes, measure the desires of parishes, and settle this thing. Sell some buildings to those that want to go, and keep some buildings for those that want to stay. Proceeds could be used to start new Episcopal churches, and those leaving would have a home. I wish we were as committed to the Gospel, as we are buildings.

I fear we will not settle any of this anytime soon, because we are all too busy wrapping ourselves in moth-eaten cloaks of pretentious holiness, the same type Jesus encountered.




No comments: