Monday, October 12, 2009

Unload Your Camel

Father Ned Mulligan, Chaplain at St. George’s School, preached an excellent sermon at St. Columba’s. The text was from the Gospel of Mark about the rich man, who questioned Jesus about salvation. The story is punctuated by Jesus making the familiar pronouncement about it being easier to thread a needle with a camel, than for a rich man to enter heaven.

Father Mulligan told us how the eye of the needle was the night gate in ancient cities. It was impossible to make it through the gate with a “loaded” camel. Camels had to be unpacked, coaxed to kneel and crawl through the narrow passage. It is really a great image.

The rich man, who approached Jesus for salvation was unwilling to unpack his baggage. The rich man chose to remain outside and cling to his cargo. The rich man left Jesus because he had all he could carry.

When I ponder my financial commitment to the Church, I think in these terms. I consider who I am and what I have. I consider the distance between who I am, and who God calls me to be. When I recognize the gifts I have and give them as gifts, I see my best self. For me, taking up the Cross of Christ is about recognizing the gifts I have received, and working to give them to God.

Every season is stewardship season. We are always called to be mindful and thankful for what we have. Some of what we have is uniquely ours, and is treasured. Some of it gets in the way, and needs to be shed. Some of it is good, and needs to be shared as a gift.

No comments: