Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Part of Something Bigger

My brand of piety is marked by an appreciation of timelessness and continuity. I remember standing in Arches National Monument and having a profound sense of being, at the same time, connected to the world and being but a small piece of it. The feast of All Saints’ does a similar thing to me. I know I am part of something bigger, taking my place, and following a long train of faithful disciples.

At Morning Prayer today, we read a portion of chapter 11 from Paul’s First Letter to the Corinthians. It contains the “Words of Institution,” Jesus’ words from the Last Supper. The formula is embedded in our eucharistic prayers.

Jesus’ words echo in my head, reminding me that I am united with people across the ages. My obligation is the same as Christians past. I gather with Jesus’ present followers and remember. Jesus is made known to us in the breaking of the bread, and always will be. Our charge is to live, shaped by Jesus’ risen life.

“For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took a loaf of bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, ‘This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.’ In the same way he took the cup also, after supper, saying, ‘This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.’ For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.” 1 Cor 11:23-26




No comments: