Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A Foundation of Rock

In preparation for St. Columba’s annual pledge campaign, I have been thinking a great deal about the role of stewardship in my own life. It is very easy to lump my pledge to the Church into the realm of philanthropy. I think philanthropy is different, and I want us to consider the differences.

How often do we receive solicitations to contribute to a worthy cause? There are countless organizations that come to us, whose appeals are rooted in the good work they do. They often show us budgets and show us a percentage of administrative costs in an effort to highlight their prudence and effectiveness. Our decision to give usually hinges on our agreement with expressed values and work. Our gifts to nonprofits are a function of the organization.

I see my pledge to the Church in a very different way. My pledge isn’t as much about the organization as it is about me. My contributions to the Church are a function of how I understand myself in relationship to the Gospel. Am I person grounded in the teachings of Jesus, seeking to love God, love my neighbor and bring about the kingdom? I seek to be faithful in stewardship because I am seeking to be faithful to God and my calling as a disciple. The followers of Jesus pooled resources in an effort to care for one another because it said something about who they were.

Stewardship is about who we are at heart. It is about what resides at our core, our foundation. My prayer is that you will consider our campaign theme, “A Foundation of Rock,” and consider your core identity, your foundation as a follower of our Risen Lord.

Peace,
Chris +




Matthew 7:24-27

24 "Everyone then who hears these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock. 25 The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on rock. 26 And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not act on them will be like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell--and great was its fall!"


No comments: