Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Thanksgiving

I like Thanksgiving for all sorts of reasons. I love the story. My first public performance was as a character in a kindergarten Thanksgiving play. I was Squanto, the fellow who introduced the pilgrims to corn. (disclaimer: I know nothing of the historical accuracy of my brief stage role.) I also enjoy the gathering of friends and family. I enjoy the food, the travel and the general pace of the holiday.

It may very well be the shift in activity level around the Thanksgiving holiday that resonates with me. It is something of a conscious shift. We become active in affirming what we hold dear. We proactively consider who we are, what we have and to whom we belong.

Of course, it can also be a difficult time for many. In listing the blessings, we note that through the passage of time and by reason of loss, some of the blessings of our lives seem inaccessible. Few are free of this reality. We, however, are a people filled with trust. We receive gifts and we give gifts, knowing from whom they come.

Blessings upon you.

No comments: