Thursday, August 16, 2007

Episcopal Life And The MDG's

I am feeling a bit cranky. Maybe it is the process of reentry from holiday. The object of my current ire is the Millennium Development Goals.

Now, I have no issue with the content of the MDG’s. Eradicating poverty, ample potable drinking water and ending hunger are all very good things. My problem is how we are contextualizing them.

The current issue of Episcopal Life heralds the MDG’s. It is clear that the MDG’s are a primary focus of the moment for the Church. No problem here. The problem in my mind is that you have to read through two articles until any substantive mention of the Gospel is made. The mention finally occurs in an article quoting the Archbishop of Canterbury. Up to that point, the reader could be consuming any newspaper, rather than a periodical of the Episcopal Church.

You might think my criticism unwarranted because this installment of Episcopal Life does go on to make it clear that the MDG’s are part and parcel of the radical demands the Gospel makes on the believer. You might even say that the connection with the Church is a given, since the material presented is in Episcopal Life. These criticisms are valid.

My point is that we are missing an opportunity. As we trumpet the importance of the MDG’s, wouldn’t it be valuable to be clear that, for us, this grows out of our commitment to the saving Gospel of Jesus Christ. We can’t take for granted that those disconnected from the Church will make the connection or understand. If we articulated our commitment to the MDG’s in a deliberate theological context, at every opportunity, those unfamiliar with the Christian faith and the Episcopal Church might seek to discover more. Those that have dismissed Christianity might be interested to know: it is about much more than getting into heaven. Of course, they won’t, if we are ineffective in our proclamation.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Open Your Heart To Me!

What about you?
Do you still feel the same way you used to?
Give me a chance to prove myself
I’ve had enough of sorrow
For all tomorrows
Let me help you to carry on
Carry on your life till dawn
Just open your heart to me
And I’ll help you’ll see

No other would’ve done for you
Like I’ve done, you just have to see that too
There is a better side of life than you’re leading
Let me help you carry on, I’m pleading
Just open your heart to me
I’ll help, you’ll see
I’ll be the post for you to lean on
Lean on till the break of dawn

Anonymous said...

dear chris -

i so agree with you!

i am eternally grumpy about MDG's, on several fronts. in addition to the ones you name, i feel like this has become the politically correct movement of the moment, but it is in fact a really difficult beauracratic mess!

when my congregation in durham decided to put part of our budget towards the MDG's (which they did gladly), we got into all this mess because everytime we actually chose something to give our money to, we were told it was not an 'official' MDG goal, frustrating everyone. as far as i know, that money is still waiting to be spent....

also, in addition to the MDG's not being associated clearly with the Gospel, i think they are also not clearly associated with their goal - eradicating poverty, hunger, and illness. using jargon to talk about both our intent and our motivation makes me feel like we are some kind of government organization!

anyway, hi from kansas. hope you had a good vacation.

Anonymous said...

Chris, frcathie,
Came over from StandFirm linked by a quote from your post (Chris).
You might have been at GC2006. If so you know whereof I speak re: the enormous, daily, ongoing presentation on the MDGs. It was almost as if no other possible topic could validly take up our consideration. When the justification for the MDGs did include Jesus' ministry as identified in scripture, and placed within the scriptural context of both OT and Gospel, and then the remainder of the NT, it was very frustrating to hear and see the same scripture being justified OUT of the argument that does dominate our time. That argument to me is the very authority of that scripture! I think this is the argument for the MDGs were more often tied up with a united world through the UN, and also as a simple humanitarian "peace and justice" issue. Avoidance and denial would be the short terms.

However, I found that an Anglican-born agency which our parish had begun using for our own participation in assisting world economic issues, "Five Talents", was right along with supporting the MDGs as a world focus. The very name, though, should tell you that it is unashamedly biblically focused. They were mentioned in the Episcopal Life issue. They have a couple of postings on YouTube, as well.
So, here's a group that recognizes the MDGs, is Anglican Communion based, and doing it plainly for the reasons Christians should be able to easily articulate.

bls said...

I agree with you, too. I think people are starting to understand about the missed opportunity, though, and that this is going to change in the future.

Posts like this will help push things forward, I think.