Wednesday, June 18, 2008

What Now?


In the past, I have read a number of books and articles about the challenges that face the Church. A good bit of what I have seen focuses on the post-Christendom reality we face. The argument usually cites “blue laws”, the existence of rivals to worship on Sunday morning, and shifting expectations.

Clearly, Sunday morning is no longer sacrosanct and the sole province of the Church. It is easy to bemoan the changes, but it would miss the point. Obviously, we must understand where we are, but I don’t like using a changing world as justification for decline.

The larger issue, in my mind, is how we respond to the new situation.

Jesus appealed to his first hearers in ways that had resonance. His message and identity changed the world and history. Jesus methodology was related to his appearance in history, in a particular time and place. Jesus’ style of debate and use of parables are very connected to his context.

What Jesus taught was old and new in various ways. His teaching was very connected to Torah. In some ways, Jesus counseled to uphold traditional interpretation of Torah, and in other ways he was seen as the fulfillment of Torah. The point is all this happened within a framework of current understanding.

The challenge of our time is the proclamation of the Gospel in ways that work, now. It is bigger than using streaming video and hip music in worship (not exactly my cup of tea). It is more philosophical than that. How do we communicate the essential message of the Gospel of Jesus to a world that no longer thinks the message matters?

We are in the process of losing a framework for understanding. Sin, salvation, justification, redemption are all words losing their meaning outside of “churchy” contexts. The concepts represent essentials, but the understanding of the essentials is shifting.

I don’t have any real answers. I am note sure I understand my own questions. I am clear that business as usual is not working.

Clinging to the past, out of fear, will not be an effective strategy. Nobody is buying buggy-whips.

Throwing out the old for the new always creates unintended loss, and good, meaningful things disappear.

What Now?





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful questions, Chris. I'd suggest that only part of the answer might actually lie in the church (literally). Another part might rest in the world, outside "church," where people are, day in and day out. I'd suggest that the church needs to continue to go into the world--actively--and not wait for the world to go to the church. The ministry that is practiced Monday through Saturday might just be where the action is. Last time I checked, God's presence was as real on Monday morning, as it is on Sunday. And the more I see God in the daily news, the more His presence resonates in my own life. Peace my friend. You are making a wonderful contribution to the dialogue with your blog. Steve